The Support of a Team

Kyra Galvin

Like many sports teams at St. Petersburg High School, the track team is a family, with coaches, athletes, parents, and others contributing to their victories.

Every child has that one thing that lives in their imagination and drives their performance both in and out of school. Whether it’s the arts, a particular subject that entertains them, or a hobby they pursue with diligence, it allows them to unwind and relax after a day of hard work. For many student-athletes, their sport is the outlet through which they channel their energy. Whether for health or fun, they work hard to achieve their goals.

In track, runners work for months to shave off mere seconds from their personal records. Throwers train day after day for a few inches. Jumpers perform every effort for a record. Why?

After months of planning, training, and efforts beyond compare, athletes shared what motivates them on days when they struggle to stay positive. Kyra Galvin, a sophomore, says that on tough days, she stays motivated “by thinking about how it’ll help [her] to get better.” She says that “it’s not supposed to be easy” and that you must tell yourself you can do it. Nickolas Forbes, a junior, says, “[his] teammates keep [him] motivated.” Although student-athletes have the support of their team, coaches, and families, they have themselves to thank because they have worked hard, even during those optional Saturday practices, pulling through and growing their skills.

But what is their favorite part of being on the team? This is a simple question, yet these same students needed help answering what seemed to be an easy question. These answers are genuinely the most important because they will remember them when they leave. They will take the team, the coaches, and the experiences with them, even if they plan to leave them behind. Patrick Chaerul, a sophomore, says that “[his] favorite part of being on the team is bonding with the friends he has made and seeing all the progress the team has made throughout the season.” Kyra says that she loves the “sense of community.” The team is like a family, and every member has a job. They help, support, and motivate each other while having fun.

Like many sports teams at St. Petersburg High School, the track team is a family, with coaches, athletes, parents, and others contributing to their victories. Student-athletes must recognize that, even with all the support they receive, they should first thank themselves. They persevere through the most challenging days and form a team bond that cannot be broken and will be remembered for the rest of their lives.