The Student News Site of St. Petersburg High School

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

2023: Best Movies Wrapped

2023: Best Movies Wrapped
Ava John

Wrapping up one of the most iconic years we’ve had in a while, it’s important to look back on all of the movies that were released this year. I’m a sucker for a movie that makes me think, or just gives me a good reason to kick my legs back and forth with giddiness. With my speciality in rankings, I give you the top 4 movies that were released in 2023

Five Nights at Freddy’s (2023)

This movie was an interesting way to kick off my list, but I have completely valid reasoning for it. No matter how bad, cringy, or awful you thought this movie was, it fed an army. Since the original game was released back in 2014, fans had already been asking for a film adaptation for almost an entire decade. The loads of story building in the Five Nights at Freddy’s universe gives writers hours upon hours worth of content to work with. When the film was released in October, I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many people come together in harmony before; besides maybe for the Last Supper. Not only does the movie provide an endless supply of nostalgia, but it also stars the world’s number one baby girl, Josh Hutcherson. When I tell you I levitated out of my seat in the movie theaters, I mean it. I hadn’t seen him properly on the screen since Hunger Games, so our reunion was long awaited. Truly an iconic release, and it deserves its spot on this list.

Barbie (2023)

Even though I don’t think I need to, I will fight for this movie till the end of the earth. However, I’m struggling to find the words to defend this film’s placement on the list because I don’t think I should have to, but I’ll do it anyway. When this movie was released, nobody had a single clue the impact this film would have on women all over the world. Barbie has freed so many girls from that self-hating mindset that is a crucial theme throughout the movie. It was a film packed with women empowerment, but it was also raw and emotional. This film brought me to tears. Seriously, I was a wreck (and I found out my mascara is definitely not waterproof…). All of the actresses who brought this movie together were fantastic, and the writing was just perfect. Anybody who claims that America Ferrera’s speech was less than impeccable has no sense. A beautiful motion picture inside and out, as soon as Barbie hit theaters on July 21st, it had a place on this list.

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (2023)

Screaming, crying, and throwing up. Tom Blyth you will be famous in my heart forever. Anywho, this movie was two hours and thirty seven minutes of legitimate epicness. Not only was the cast absolutely superb, but the filming was gorgeous. The camera shots of Panem were so captivating to look at. I personally watched the movie before I read the book (which is a crime I am so sorry for.), so I went in not knowing a singular thing about this prequel. I was very pleased by what I saw, and I almost went to see it in theaters a few more times. If you haven’t seen this movie, I would strongly advise you to watch it as soon as possible! A quick summary: Man likes girl, but girl can’t be tied down, and the man does not like this so he spirals into insanity and becomes a tyrannical leader (sound entertaining?). To add on, Rachel Zegler is an outstanding Lucy Gray, with her majestic voice and an ability to really immerse herself in the role. I still listen to the soundtrack unironically, everyone go stream “The Ballad of Lucy Gray” right now!
Bottoms (2023)

This might be my favorite movie on the list, it’s just so great. Ayo Edebiri and Rachel Sennott had my heart beating at 1000 bpm. The movie is hilarious, authentic, and glamorously gay. How many people get the thought to make a movie about a lesbian fight club? Not many. With a LGBTQ movie like this one, it might be a common misconception that it’s only meant for people in that community, but it really isn’t that way at all. This film is for all audiences, and I strongly encourage people to go watch it if they haven’t. Some folks might think Oppenheimer should’ve taken this spot on the list, but only one of the movies has bombs AND lesbians, and it definitely isn’t Oppenheimer.