The Student News Site of St. Petersburg High School

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Do Music and Studying Go Together?

82 percent of St. Petersburg High School students listen to music while studying. This brings up the notorious debate: does music actually hinder your ability to study? Or can Drake and Calculus work well together? We interviewed St. Petersburg High Students and conducted research to figure out the truth. 
Listen to our study playlist, made with the suggestions of @sphspress Instagram followers.

Students listen to music while studying for various reasons. One student recalls that music “helps keep [her] focused” while studying. Another student claims that music provides motivation to study and “helps organize [her] thoughts.” According to Florida National University, listening to music can maximize learning and improve memory, which can be useful when completing schoolwork. From movie scores to R&B, students listen to a variety of music to study. One student told the News that “it depends on the subject.” For example, when working on literature, she listens to something more mellow, such as Sufjan Stevens. Whereas for working on math, she listens to something upbeat to keep her motivated. 

So, what effect does music really have on performance? Healthline reports that it can both help and hurt you. Some positive effects include the ability to absorb and interpret new information more easily. However, music can also be distracting and lower one’s comprehension skills. To find the balance between these pros and cons, there are ways to listen to music while studying that can maximize usefulness. It is best to avoid music with lyrics, so a good alternative would be listening to instrumental movie scores or classical music. Slow and ambient music is another good route since music that is too loud or hyper can disrupt focus. 

Overall, both studying with or without music is supportable. As long as you’re staying away from the hard metal or rock, feel free to enjoy your favorite songs while doing work. With each academic year that passes, you can learn more about which study method works best based on personal preference, so partake in whatever feels right for you.