The Underprivileged in College Admissions

Izzy Welch

Students have no control over their family income, so it shouldn’t be a source of inequality in education, but that doesn’t stop it from happening.

High school is the time to impress colleges, and one of the most significant pieces of advice we are given over and over again upon entering our first year is that you can never start too early. We hear talk of applying for university summer programs, visiting colleges to show interest, and getting a college advisor. The catch is that these can cost a hefty amount of money. Occasionally, students’ families are well off and can afford to invest in the child’s future, but in most cases, those who can not afford these things are disadvantaged.

That is not to say they have no opportunities in high school. There are plenty of chances for people who get excellent grades or participate in clubs and sports at the school. Yet, so can kids with the extra opportunities, leaving those who can’t afford it at the bottom of the totem pole.

Students have no control over their family income, so it shouldn’t be a source of inequality in education, but that doesn’t stop it from happening. The solution is not telling people aren’t allowed to use their money to advance themselves. Most problems cannot be solved by taking something away, rather something needs to be added. If a student has the money to supplement their education or resumé with a new experience, they should do so. Instead, schools should increase the availability of scholarships and ensure that students are informed. Since there are many different kinds of scholarships, this would help not only with affording college but also with securing an excellent high school education. If someone wanted to spend money on a high school, they would have the option to do that without worrying about whether or not they could afford it. This would be a huge relief not only for students but for parents, who spend much time every day thinking about if they can ever provide higher education for their children equal to that of their peers.

Sometimes the inequality is so tiny that people hardly notice it, but it does exist. It is a genuine problem, and not nearly enough has been done. Some students feel they need more support in how far their intelligence or ambition can take them in education because of their economic status. It will never be okay for anyone to feel that way when this could change if they were more informed.