The Student News Site of St. Petersburg High School

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Wilson’s Book World

Local bookstores are essential to the St. Petersburg community, Wilson’s Book World being one of them.
Sasha Kelley
By supporting local businesses that have longstanding connections in the city, the authenticity of them will remain intact.

A piece of St. Petersburg history sits tucked between generic buildings on a busy street, hundreds of books stacked floor to ceiling lay behind white walls bruised by the sun and battered by dirt. From far away, it may seem insignificant, but to those who are well acquainted with small quiet spaces, the familiar smell of old book pages looms over the whole block. The anticipation of living within the stories and experiencing lives more exciting than one’s own draws people from all backgrounds into one safe space. 

Wilson’s Book World is a staple. With the city getting busier, St. Petersburg’s slow, old, and relaxed environment has become more essential by the day. The most interesting thing about this hidden gem is its familial history. Passed down through generations, the bookstore has been able to maintain its roots in the city it was started in. 

Additionally, the variety of genres and recent releases is on par with that of Barnes & Noble. Oftentimes, shopping second-hand can be difficult due to the lack of quality or generic material. This concern is non-existent at Wilson’s since it tends to lean more in the opposite direction. While, yes, it is true they may not have the exact book one had in mind, they house much more rare and unique items that cannot be found within larger conglomerates. 

All in all, St. Petersburg is full of secret spaces that, if not explored, will lose their property to much larger companies. By supporting local businesses that have longstanding connections in the city, the authenticity of them will remain intact. So next time you’re on Fifth Ave., make sure to stop in!