The Student News Site of St. Petersburg High School

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Back-to-School Night: The Importance of Healthy Teacher-Parent Relationships!

Back-to-School Night is a yearly ritual that provides teachers and parents with the opportunity to meet one another. Why is this tradition so important?
Ella Connelly
Back-to-School Night aims to create a healthy relationship between teachers and parents and get parents involved in their student’s school life.

Back-to-School Night was Monday, September 11th, at St. Petersburg High School. Many of the parents of St. Petersburg High School students came to learn about the teachers and classrooms of their kids. The teachers happily taught and answered questions about each class’s curriculum. 

“It went well. It felt like I was running a marathon! It was really nice to see new and returning families!” said Mrs. Vinciguerra, the biology teacher at St. Petersburg High School. 

Back-to-School Night aims to create a healthy relationship between teachers and parents and get parents involved in their student’s school life. Why are parent-teacher relationships important? Gabby Flores, a student in the IB Program at St. Petersburg High School, thinks that “parent-teacher relationships are important because if a student is struggling, the teacher will feel comfortable enough to contact and speak to the parents.” Mrs. Vinciguerra has a similar opinion on the topic, saying, “You want an open mind of communication. If you can’t connect with a student in class to see if there are any issues, being able to connect with parents is crucial to help students. Being proactive is really important as a teacher.” Gabby also thinks that teacher-parent relationships are essential because “the teacher would be comfortable with recommending tutoring or extra activities to assist with school work if the student is really struggling.” 

Healthy teacher-parent relationships help all parties in multiple ways, but most importantly, the student and their learning.