The Student News Site of St. Petersburg High School

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Spreading Spirit: An exploration of how varsity cheerleaders build campus spirit

With the exciting start of a new year and football season, the varsity cheerleaders encourage everyone to embrace the football night themes!
Norah Craig
School spirit is what motivates a lot of students and brings us closer together as a Green Devil family!

Everyone knows how big of a tradition high school football games are, especially the first ones. With the year just starting and the football season fast approaching, St. Petersburg High School is bustling with excitement, and the Varsity cheerleaders help to channel this excitement into football games. Their smiles and preppy spirits are one of the first things you think of when you picture the face of our school. The cheerleaders at SPHS are full of school spirit, and they spread that energy through being interactive and engaging with our community.

When asked how they readied the school for the first home game, Varsity Cheerleader Sophie Slagler responded, “We usually get the whole school ready for the first home game by spreading it on social media and wearing our game-day outfits to school. We also chalk the sidewalks all throughout the halls to spread the time and theme.” Walking onto campus on game day, you are met with chalked, colorful messages across the sidewalks. They represent the theme with unique designs and big letters. Not to mention, during lunch, the senior and junior Varsity cheerleaders get together to be rowdy in the courtyards, with our band leading the way. It’s a fun, interactive way to make sure everyone knows how special the day is. With the cheerleaders all dressed in their outfits and bows, they are always there if you have a question about the game!   

With everybody anxious and stressed during the start of the school year, the football games can help everyone get to know their peers and come together as one for a night of fun! Our school spirit makes everyone feel like they are a part of something special at St. Petersburg High School – the home of the Green Devils! It’s important for students at SPHS to learn about how our cheerleaders spread school spirit because it lets them know that this is an environment that welcomes everyone to be a part of our traditions. School spirit is what motivates a lot of students and brings us closer together as a Green Devil family!