The Student News Site of St. Petersburg High School

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

The Sport of the Summer

The Pickleball Phenomenon is sweeping the halls of St. Petersburg High School and our local community.
Sophie Slager
The Pickleball Club meets once a week (alternating Wed and Thurs) at the Crescent Lake courts to play.

Over the past two years, Pickleball has surged in popularity, transitioning from relative obscurity to a widely recognized racket sport. In pickleball, two or four players use paddles to hit a hollow plastic ball over a net until one side cannot return the ball, or breaks a rule. The sport’s immense following in recent years is attributed to its accessibility and inclusivity, as it can be played on a standard tennis court and is suitable for players of all ages, from the young to the elderly. This phenomenon has grown to such an extent that St. Petersburg High School has established a Pickleball Club, offering students the opportunity to learn and play together. The News interviewed a member of the SPHS Pickleball Club, Lindsay Barry, to gain insight into her experience with the club.

How did you first become interested in pickleball, and what made you join the club at SPHS?

“I first became interested in pickleball when I saw a group of children playing it at Crescent Lake. I recently started playing this summer because a few of my friends were constantly going to the park to play it. One day they took me, and I have been going every night since. Once I saw there was a pickleball club, it was almost a no-brainer to join it because I love the community and people around pickleball.”

What advice would you give to someone who’s considering trying pickleball for the first time or thinking about joining a similar club?                    

“I’d advise that you play pickleball with a group of friends. It makes the experience way more fun. And if you’re thinking about joining a pickleball club, I say do it!”