The Student News Site of St. Petersburg High School

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Potters vs. Percy: What makes a good adaptation?

With the new Percy Jackson and the Olympians show coming out December 20th, what should be expected from this book-to-screen adaptation, and how will it compare to others of its kind?
Olivia Moore
The Percy Jackson and Harry Potter franchises share many similarities. This includes origins in mythology and a main male protagonist who is the “chosen one,” along with two male and female supporting characters.

Out of all the stories kids consume, the most popular is seemingly the hero’s journey. Whether it’s movies, shows, comics, or books, the concept of someone who at first seems normal or inconsequential going on to make a difference and be idolized is beloved. While this story is by no means new, every once in a while, it is told, and it garners an unprecedented amount of love and popularity. This is seen with movie franchises and comics like Star Wars and Avengers, with an unfounded occurrence being the success of Harry Potter. With an endless amount of merchandising, the Harry Potter books have been republished countless times, with the movies making billions in gross box office earnings. Following the release and popularization of the Harry Potter series, books following teen protagonists became commonplace. One of the most well-known of these is Percy Jackson and the Olympians. The Percy Jackson and Harry Potter franchises share many similarities. This includes origins in mythology and a main male protagonist who is the “chosen one,” along with two male and female supporting characters. In May 2020, it was announced that the Percy Jackson show was in development. Since then, there has been much speculation about how the show will turn out and its effect. Many have inferred that the show can mimic the popularity of the Harry Potter movies due to the similarity between Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. What is the possibility of this, and what does it take to adapt a book for the big screen?

Percy Jackson and the Olympians is one the best-selling book series of all time. The series has seen much praise with its adored action scenes, angsty narrator, modernized mythology, and nostalgia. While the story is a very original and personal creation from the author, Rick Riordan, there is no doubt it parallels Harry Potter in many aspects. As mentioned before, the cast set-up is similar, as well as the incorporation of mythology. However, many see other similarities. IB English Teacher Mr. Benton comments, “It’s the hero’s journey… in some ways it’s predictable, and it could read as corny, but that story has to be retold every couple years because people need that idea of a hero being called off to fight evil. Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, and their supporting friends are the idea of this not so special but maybe the chosen ones.” 

As IB Student Claire Sauter points out, the fan base is also has a considerable overlap. Although the Percy Jackson show has a lot riding on it for the fans, there were already two movies released in the early 2010s. The Harry Potter movies came out over the course of a decade, with the first released in 2001 and the last in 2011. While there is surely debate over whether the movies or the books were better (the answer is the books, if you were wondering), both saw a good deal of success. However, the Percy Jackson movies did not have this fortune. While both Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief and Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters earned more than the budget, the general response from fans and even the author of the series was negative, to say the least. With the aging up of the characters, straying from the source material, and exclusion of the author in the creation, many considered the movies disappointing. The movie series that was meant to have five movies – one for each book – ended up getting canceled after just two.

But why was this? The series had no lack of material to make a fine movie that many would love. This comes from the never-ending conflict surrounding adapting written text into a movie. There is the inherent problem of a book with many details and exposition that would take hours to cover in a movie. There are many different perspectives about the best way to adapt a book for the big screen. Claire Sauter says, “Write a script that fits as close to the book as possible … if it deviates too much no one’s going to watch it, especially if the book is popular … and then casting is important … you want people that genuinely fit the characters.” However, Mr. Benton states, “You have to have someone with a strong creative vision … somebody who’s willing to take risks with it and possibly mess up and make it their own and do their own spin on it and not merely translate it to the screen.” While there are different opinions on the proper way to convert a book into a movie or show, it varies depending on many different factors. One certain thing is that, in order for a piece of media like a movie or show to succeed when based on something that is already popular, it must be done in a way that is approved by those consuming it, or else it will receive a lot of backlash. 

The reactions so far to the many teaser trailers of this upcoming Disney+ show have been overwhelmingly positive. While there will always be some criticism, most seem to be on board with the show. With age-appropriate actors and Rick Riordan now involved in making the show, it looks like the new adaptation has potential. The question, however, is just how good it will be. As previously mentioned, there is speculation that the new Percy Jackson show could be just as big as Harry Potter, if not bigger. While it is impossible to really answer this without seeing the show, we can draw conclusions from the information we have right now. From those I interviewed, the general consensus was … it is unlikely. When IB Student Ella Abernethy was asked her opinion on the possibility, she said, “No, especially if they’re doing it in a series type of format. It was already a failed movie series. Unless it completely blows up, I don’t think it will.” From Claire Sauter, “I don’t think pop culture works the same anymore. When the Harry Potter movies were big it was easier to get super crazy popular. I think they’ll be very popular, but I don’t think anything will ever quite reach Harry Potter.” From Mr. Benton, “If it taps into the zeitgeist and where people’s minds are right now, that could be something special. But if it comes off as pandering or condescending, it could get rejected outright as corny and like a cash grab … if it finds that delicate balance … people will respect it.” Again, we cannot know until the show comes out. For now, it seems that while the show will be popular, it will not reach that chart-topping success that Harry Potter managed.

Regardless of which one is more popular, Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, along with many other heroic narratives, have meant a great deal to many people. This is why movie adaptations and new releases are so important, as people want to see the stories they love represented in the way they experience them. While it is impossible to appease everyone, if the new show can manage to match the energy of the books, it has a serious chance of becoming a future classic. And, if not, at least there are always the books to return to.