The Student News Site of St. Petersburg High School

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Future Business Leaders of America at SPHS

The FBLA club is one of the many interesting clubs offered at SPHS!
Olivia Moore
FBLA allows students to compete across the country for rewards and prizes, and it lets them learn and grow as leaders in business to prepare for all of their future endeavors.

There is no doubt St. Petersburg High School offers a plethora of clubs to its students, each one serving as an outlet and community for its members. This year, students and teachers have come together to form our school’s Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) club. 

FBLA is about inspiring students to grow into business leaders in society through preparation, competitions, and leadership opportunities. According to Sophia Julian, the president of FBLA, “FBLA allows us to make connections and improve ourselves while having fun with friends.” As president, Sophia says her job is to “support my chapter and all of the members in it.” She makes sure everyone is enjoying themselves and learning along the way. 

In FBLA, you will be able to compete amongst other students in the club to test your business knowledge and skills. Top districts/state winners will advance to the National Leadership Conference each summer. The competitions have three categories: individual, team, and chapter. There are tests that competitors will take regarding topics like computer concepts, information processing, and website development. 

Another aspect of the competition is public speaking. This will allow competitors to research a topic and deliver a speech. This allows members to practice said skills and be judged on their abilities. 

Competitions will be held at various locations, and students will be able to go on overnight club trips to compete. Naturally, the attire is business casual, and it is necessary to have specific clothing to suit the event. This will get the members into a more corporate and sophisticated mindset. 

Many new FBLA members are excited about the opportunities to come. Addie Santos, who joined FBLA this year, says she is “looking forward to connecting with peers from SPHS and from other schools at the fall rally!” The fall rally is a future excursion to meet new people interested in becoming business leaders. These events encourage students like Addie to join and make relationships with students from all across the state!

FBLA allows students to compete across the country for rewards and prizes, and it lets them learn and grow as leaders in business to prepare for all of their future endeavors. If you’re interested in FBLA, contact Mr.Waterkeyn for more information to start your journey!