The Student News Site of St. Petersburg High School

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

The HIP Club’s Influence on Campus

The HIP Club’s Influence on Campus
Ava John

The Health Information Project Club (HIP) is a non-for-profit organization that teaches juniors and seniors, who volunteer, to educate their younger peers about various health subjects such as, mental health, nutrition and eating, exercise, self care, social media, drug use, and more. Rory Murray is a junior who is a member of this club and he thinks “HIP is important and beneficial for the students of St. Petersburg High School because it teaches students about mental health and how to deal with difficult situations.” And HIP club does just that. I have personally sat through two HIP presentations and they were informative, attention grabbing, and very interesting. HIP is definitely a creative way to successfully educate and inform students about important topics.

In order to join HIP you must be a Junior or Senior and be willing to present difficult topics to underclassmen while answering questions and facilitating discourse. 

Additionally, the goal of this organization aligns with the values St. Petersburg High School has been upheld since its founding in 1898. It is important to have student involvement on campus, especially when it provides the opportunity for service and interaction between diverse groups within the student population. Currently club president, Kendal McCurdy, has worked hard to make sure the club lives up to its reputation while simultaneously making it a fun and inclusive environment. Moving forward St. Pete High hopes to see the impact this club has as it continues to exemplify service and scholarship.