The Student News Site of St. Petersburg High School

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Homecoming: The Green Devil way

From Spirit Week to Homecoming, the second week of October was very eventful for St. Petersburg High School students.
Paloma Welch
“Barbenheimer Day” was the newest Spirit Week theme this year at SPHS!!

As leaves are falling, school spirit is rising! At St. Petersburg High School, we pride ourselves on embracing school traditions. One in particular is Spirit Week! The purpose of Spirit Week is to encourage camaraderie by getting students excited to dress up for a week’s worth of themes before Homecoming.

St. Petersburg High School’s Spirit Week was the week leading up to the Homecoming football game and dance. Sophomore Student Government Association council person Ela Salihovic offered, “In the past, Spirit Week theme days have been Generation Day, Flock Day, Decades Day, Pajama and SPHS Color Day! A lot of the participants had their picture taken and posted on Instagram (@stpetehighsga).” Spirit Week this year is October 9th through the 13th. Ela Salihovic later stated, “SGA has confirmed that the spirit themes will be the following: Monday, October 9th – Generation Day, Tuesday, October 10th – Flock Day, Wednesday, October 11th – Sports/Jersey Day, Thursday, October 12th – Barbenheimer, and lastly, Friday, October 13th – Green and White Day.” The required Spirit Day themes are generations, flock, and green and white. However, this year, St. Petersburg High School has spiced it up with “Barbenheimer,” inspired by Greta Gerwig’s film Barbie and Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer.

Kicking off Spirit Week on Monday, October 9th, was the Powderpuff game at 6:00pm! Powderpuff is an event that invites students of all grade levels at St. Petersburg High School to participate in a flag football game where traditional roles are reversed. To further explain, the girls geared up to play football while the boys were on the sidelines, cheering them on. Practices ran from Monday, October 2nd through Thursday, October 5th, from 2:30pm to 3:30pm on the football practice field, showing the impressive nature of the player’s quick learning.

Following the Powderpuff game was Homecoming! This is the event that everyone looks forward to as the first quarter of the school year wraps up. This year’s theme celebrated the music, colors, food, and vibrant culture of Cuba: Havana Nights! The Student Government Association invited St. Petersburg High School students to attend this bold, spicy event from 7:00 -11:00pm in Devils’ Den (the school gymnasium). Tickets went on sale September 26th for $40. From October 2nd through October 8th, tickets were $45. After October 8th, tickets were $50 apiece. All tickets for homecoming are purchased in Room 1-218 each year.   

Green Devil students are welcome to participate in Spirit Week events, be it one or all, including themed dress-up days, the Powderpuff game, the Homecoming Football game, and the Homecoming Dance every year. All students who dressed in the daily spirit theme were able to get a Homecoming Theme card signed by their first-period teacher acknowledging participation. Dress up all five days, get your card signed, and turn in the completed card to Room 1-218 for an opportunity to win a prize. Let your Green Devil spirit flags fly during Homecoming Spirit Week 2023!