Five Movies That Should be in Theaters Again

Halle Hosmer

Movie posters at AMC Sundial.

Movies have always played an extremely pivotal role in my life. Recently, a lot of older movies have been re-released into theaters for a second go-round, Jaws being one of them. Although the shark flick is a cult classic, watching it when I was 7 years old has severely affected what I think of the ocean. Even though thalassophobia is VERY real, take what I say about the fear factor of the sea with a grain of salt; I am in fact also scared of squirrels and elevators. Skipping past my wimpiness, I believe a lot of movies deserve a second chance for the big-screen treatment. Here are a few (very excellently chosen) movies that should be re-released…

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

Starting off very strong with Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger in the same movie (oh my god!!!). This film is for every teen girl who thinks her interests are different than everyone else (annddd that girl is me). This movie has been with me forever. Whenever there was nothing good on cable I would go to my saved movies and this ’90s treasure would be waiting for me (I once watched it 10 times in the span of 4 days). The plot is easy to understand, and it’s a cute Shakespearean-twisted love story between Kat Stratford, a poetry lover with a big attitude, and Patrick Verona, the supposed jailbird and “bad boy” of the school. Get this masterpiece back in the theater! Anybody who hasn’t been blessed with seeing this film should be able to buy a ticket and sit there for 1 hour and 37 minutes without taking their eyes off the screen.

The Notebook (2004) 

I really don’t feel the need to explain myself on this one, but since I love talking, I will anyway. This is the romance I envision when somebody asks me for the definition of love. Are my expectations extremely high? Yes…but “if he wanted to, he would.” The film is beautiful, and experiencing it on the big screen would be an out-of-body experience. Seeing Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling stay hopelessly in love with each other for 14 years (despite being miles apart) opened my eyes to sky-high expectations and lots of tears. Noah and Allie’s love story deserves to be on the big screen once again. When people say they want a love like the movies, they mean The Notebook. After all, “if you’re a bird, I’m a bird.”

The Edge of Seventeen (2016)

I know this seems out of the blue, but it is NOT my weirdest pick. The whole movie is relatable and Hailee Steinfeld somehow perfectly encaptures how so many teens feel. I cannot count the number of times I’ve cried watching this movie (if you haven’t caught on yet, I’m a wimp). Nadine Williams, the main character, is a self-loathing high schooler who never seems to catch a break. If you are also a self-loathing high schooler who cannot catch a break, then this movie is perfect for you. 2 hours of fleeting happiness!

Superbad (2007)

Not only am I Michael Cera’s #1 fan, but I’m also a sucker for raunchy comedies. I’ll be honest, this movie is suggestive, and for more reasons than McLovin! The humor in this movie makes me cry-laugh, I love it when Michael’s character [censored] and then he [censored again]. It’s a little hopeless trying to explain this movie in great detail in my school newspaper, but Superbad needs to super hurry up and get re-released.

Footloose (2011 Remake)

Two words: Miles Teller. Watching this tasty remake when I was younger changed the trajectory of my life. The corny quotient is just right, like having both sides of your pillow cold. I might have to do some defending since this choice is a little odd, but I will forever stand by my word. I don’t remember seeing the original BUT I ALREADY KNOW THIS VERSION IS BETTER (yeah, I think Miles Teller is affecting my brain). Having this childhood movie on the big screen would be a dream come true. Let’s hear it for the remake!