Reminiscing with the Class of 23’

Abby Gregory

Seniors at football game.

As SPHS seniors begin their final year of high school, We wanted to reach out to a few and ask them some questions about their high school experience. 

Janie Cunneen is a 17-year-old who is captain of the girls’ varsity golf team. She is also vice president of the HIP club and a member of the National Honor Society. 

What is the most memorable moment you’ve had at St. Pete High?

“My most memorable moment was on my first day of freshman year when I was standing under a tree after it had just rained and someone came up and shook the tree on me. My shoes and hair were full of water.”

What are your plans after high school?

“After high school, I plan on attending a university and earning a degree in architecture.”

What event are you looking forward to this year?

“I can’t wait for senior week and prom.”

What’s the most embarrassing interaction you’ve had with a teacher?

“My most embarrassing moment with a teacher was when I called my teacher ‘mom’ on accident. I still haven’t recovered.”

Marilyn Addlestone is 17 years old and a board member of the National Honor Society. She is also a HIP club member and has been on the SPHS softball team since freshman year. 

“My most memorable moment at St. Pete High was the move-up ceremony. I thought it was a super cool and a unique experience since no other school does it.”

What are your plans after high school?

“I plan on attending college and majoring in health sciences.”

“I’m looking forward to experiencing all the fun senior activities and graduation day!”

“My most embarrassing interaction is when I was sitting in Ms. Cruz’s back room during HIP day and the other Spanish teacher came in and yelled at us. We were so scared and ran out of the room.”

Sofia Gander is 17 years old, a member of the National honor society, and has danced competitively for many years.

“My most memorable moment in high school was the move-up ceremony last year.”

What are your plans after high school?

“After high school, I plan to go to college and major in psychology.”

“I’m most looking forward to senior week and senior skip day.”

“My most embarrassing interaction I’ve had with a teacher is when I saw them at the gym.”

Maryn Hockensmith is 17 years old and a member of Rojans. She is also in the National Honor Society and has played lacrosse for our school team since freshman year. 

“The most memorable moment I’ve had at St. Pete High was Gold Fever my junior year! I had so much fun working with my club and rehearsing in preparation for the show.”

What are your plans after high school?

“After high school, I plan to go to a college somewhere in Florida. I don’t plan to move far away, I’m more of a homebody.”

“I am looking forward to homecoming week and dance. The whole week is always so fun being able to dress up.”

“I’ve had many embarrassing interactions with teachers, but the most memorable one was when I rode on Mr. Powell’s golf cart to help him put boxes away, and instead he gave another student a referral for sleeping in their car, while I sat there staying quiet.”

Zachary O’Connor is 17 years old. He is a member of Interact, Club Med, and the National Honor Society.

“I transferred to SPHS at the beginning of my junior year and my most memorable moment here was Gold Fever.”

What are your plans after high school?

“I plan to go to college and study some sort of medicine. I really want to become an orthopedic surgeon.”

“I’m really hyped for gold fever this year.”

“My most embarrassing interaction with a teacher is when I almost hit them at the crosswalk.”

We wish our seniors the best in starting this next chapter of their lives!