3de: For the 3-dimensional Student

Nicole Jones

The 3de program is an excellent choice for students who enjoy group work, are seeking to improve presentation skills, and are interested in business.

The 3de program, meaning three-dimensional education, is a program available to St. Petersburg High School students. The program aims to bring real-world experiences into academic life for the purpose of increasing student comprehension, engagement, and critical thinking skills. The Palmetto & Pine newspaper staff conducted an interview with junior Tate Keber, a member of 3de since her freshman year, to gain an understanding of how the program is implemented at our school. Tate’s experience with 3de for her freshman and sophomore years consisted of case challenges. In her 3de class, every few weeks, a real-life company such as UPS gave students a problem from their company, and students are placed into groups with the task of devising a solution. The solution is then presented to the 3de teacher and ultimately to representatives from the actual company. The solution is then compared to those from other groups, and a winner is announced by the company’s representative with the most effective solution. Students receive a new problem every couple of weeks and stay with the same group for the entire year. Tate says that “3de made it difficult at points to manage my other classes because of the number of group projects, but if your group members contribute, then it’s manageable”. This aids students in their collaborative skills and improves presentation abilities as well. Junior and senior students are tasked with creating a real product that could realistically be put on the market. The project takes the entire year and requires models and any components that would be required for a real business model. The 3de program is an excellent choice for students who enjoy group work, are seeking to improve presentation skills, and are interested in business. Tate believes that everyone should take 3de because “it’s a class you can manage at your own pace,” and she looks forward to “graduating with a business certification, among other benefits.”