The Student News Site of St. Petersburg High School

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

Palmetto & Pine

The Spirit is Just as Important as the Game

With football season well underway, the team reflects on how important spirit is to their success.
Norah Craig
It is really special when a student can form lifelong friendships while playing a game with their fellow athletes.

As children, we are told that our high school years will be the best of our lives. Whether you agree or not, it is hard to ignore the excitement that festers in daily activity. Once a week, the school meets at the field to watch a brilliant and exhilarating display of the school’s athletic prowess: Friday night football games.

Football games at St. Petersburg High School are special. Students gather to cheer on their fellow students and dress up in fun, themed outfits. To us, it is entertainment, but to the athletes that participate, it is more than that. Zimere Williams, a senior on the football team, says that “it is really important for all the players” to feel the support of their classmates.  He says that this team is different from others and “it is special because of the leadership, and the effort the athletes put in,” striving to do better for the community that is St Petersburg High School. “Winning is a priority, and some of [his] favorite memories have come from the victories with [his] team.” He expresses that “it’s one of the most violent sports on campus,” but “it’s a whole lot of fun.”

Andrew Shultz, a junior who is currently injured, attends every game and practice. When speaking to him, he says there are times when he considers skipping practices and games, but he “made a commitment. He wants “to be there for [his] teammates, even if [he] can’t necessarily have their backs on the field. They are [his] family.” It is really special when a student can form lifelong friendships while playing a game with their fellow athletes.

On the 25th of August, The Green Devil’s Varsity team played Tarpon Springs in a tough first home game. Unfortunately, it was not a victory for SPHS; however, it was a learning experience. As with all sports, loss is a part of growth. Coach Gillen, the head coach of the Varsity Football team at SPHS, says that while winning is fun, “your attitude and your effort are more important.”